Wednesday, February 22, 2012

winding down

Winding down each evening is one of my favorite parts of the day...  mainly because we are all present...emotionally and physically.  Not to say that some nights our minds don't wander... but to be honest those are the nights where epic battles break out...tears are to be had and we all end up in bed grumpy.  But good nights, like last night, are a wonderful thing.  Winding down is truly dynamic and changes nearly everyday but there are some key elements: eating together, cleaning up together, music and story telling.

IMG_7285
who can resist a slinging guitar playing daddy?

One of my favorite parts...the music...has really changed the way things wind down around here.  If I just remember to plug in my iphone and put on a favorite Pandora station I tend to not sweat the small stuff.  If I get a hint of an itch to get mad or frustrated....I just put on music and my frustration (usually) melts away... because who can be mad while listening to reggae or bluegrass or childrens folk songs...  Aaron has traded in his few goto Grateful Dead ballads for "hush little baby", "mary had a little lamb", and "twinkle twinkle little star"... and we all sing - completely and utterly out of tune - but we all sing together, laugh at ourselves and let our eyes get tired while dancing to the beat of our own drum.

IMG_7294
and if that dog named rover don't bark...mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart....

No comments:

Post a Comment