Tuesday, July 17, 2012

7 months and the milk saga...

IMG_8741
Owen showing off plank
IMG_8749
that goofy tongue
IMG_8754
...chasing sister (not really crawling yet...one of his legs still doesn't get it...but my...so close!)

Not much new to report...creeping, trying to crawl, pulling himself up, enjoying a few pushups...this is our 7 month old boy.  So yes, my milk saga continues.  I have written 2 posts about it but decided not to share until I could refrain from wanting to type multiple profanities.  It was a bad month.  Long story short...Owen went in for his 6 month appointment and had barely gained 3 ounces in 2 months (not good for babies) and at the same time I could tell he was not being fulfilled at all by nursing (side note...owen still really just is face painting with solids...no real appreciable calorie intake is going on).  Milk supply was down again...and seemingly just getting worse...he wouldn't sleep at night for more than an hour....and this went on for a few days.  Thankfully my pediatrician, who know I'm really committed to nursing for the first year, recommended I take domperidone (a drug not approved by the FDA but widely used in canada & europe to boost lactation).  And it worked...after a few days my supply was back up, Owen still barely accepting solids and after 2 weeks we went in for a weight check and he gained almost a pound!  This was great.  As the doctor and I chatted Owen creeped all over the room, from one thing to the next, she told me that in all her years she had only seen 4 other babies move the way he does at this age.  It is no wonder he isn't gaining...he just never stops moving.  There is no lack in development...Owen...may not be growing like all the others but he sure is moving like he is a few months older than he is.  We are not suprised ... Owen has always been wide awake and ready to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment