Sunday, July 15, 2012

you'll shoot your eye out!

It's true, I feel like poor Ralphie from A Christmas Story (you know the one with the little boy who wants the bb gun?).  For a while now I have wanted a scroll saw to try my hand at some toy making....and for my birthday that was all I wanted.  No one actually got me one... I did however graciously receive a few cards with money....and a few murmured sighs of "don't you think you could find something less dangerous to spend your birthday money on...".  Well the short answer is, no!  After a month of searching on craigslist for a good deal we picked up my "new" scroll saw earlier this week.  And boy am I excited!  I am really just getting the hang of the tension, working with the wood and selecting the correct blades...but so far I am hooked!  And I have not lost any fingers!

IMG_8712
my new scroll saw!
So far I have just been playing around with pine furring left over from our chicken coop endeavors but I have a big piece of poplar I intend to start working with soon.  And in the mean time I am making all sorts of funny little creatures that might be missing a nose, tail or not exactly stand up straight...but that is alright by me...and definitely okay by isabelle....and hopefully anyone else who receives some of my "firsts" in the mail won't mind either...:).

IMG_8713
from left to right: turtle, mushroom & 3 little pigs (that might also look like bears?)
IMG_8715
Isabelle couldn't wait to get her hands on the pigs...
IMG_8718
a little chickie 
The plan is to paint all the pieces but I am waiting on some paint that I ordered.  The chickie Isabelle painted with some new Stockmar watercolors but I have an assortment of milk paints coming in the mail that will hopefully make for some great non toxic toy paints.  Oh I am so excited to be starting this new little side hobby...if you have any suggestions/requests now is the time!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited about your new hobby....:) Any finished products to pass on to the Crist family would be well loved!

    ReplyDelete