Wednesday, July 20, 2011

hold the meat please...

So after my meat binge (that sounds gross just writing it) on the 4th of July weekend my body decided to revolt against meat & poultry....I'm even grossed out by eggs (by themselves) lately.  Not sure what it is, but I think the baby prefers a vegetarian momma because every time I look at meat/poultry/raw eggs my stomach turns.  So in the past few weeks I have been eating lots of beans, soy products, and nuts - and I haven't (thankfully) had any problem with dairy (other than a run in with a self-serve soft serve machine that ruined my life for an evening).  And due to the nature of the diet shift I have been way more conscientious about my protein intake (I'm suppose to consume the upwards of 70 g a day)....and well I have to say on this non animal protein "diet" I seem to reaching those my protein intake with no problems.  Not that I thought I really would...but I just wanted to make sure.  I love tofu, tempeh, beans, and nuts so life is good.  Aaron, semi-skeptically, has been along for the ride -with a few alterations here and there to his plate if he feels like arranging it.  He even cooked up some of his home cured bacon this past weekend and it made me nauseous...something may seriously be wrong with me...

IMG_5805
mayple syrup & soy sauce marinated & baked tofu, veganaise, sprouts & tomato sammy w/ mexican brown rice & cherries (of course)

This week I also got my "sprouting" on - for co-op kids, I did a demo with the kiddos on how to make sprouts - we did mung beans, alfalfa, clover, radish, and even chickpea & lentils.  They were delicious.  Isabelle eats the sprouts out of the jar like they are candy!


IMG_5802
(from left to right) alfalfa sprouts, and then several jars of soaking seeds & beans

I mainly use the instructions found at sproutpeople.org - a great resource for anyone interested in how to make sprouts - super easy, cheap, nutritious, and delicious!!!

And on the moving front...we have set an Idaho leave date of September 14th.  My mom will fly out a few days earlier and help with distracting Isabelle while we pack and then we (my mom, me, isabelle and the two cats) will all fly back to RI.  Aaron's bff, Joel, will fly out from ME to drive cross country with him to NH - they did the same thing on the way out - good man time I suppose.  We still don't have a place to live, a U-Pack moving quote, or a midwife - which gets sticky because it really depends on where we live (VT or NH - because most don't have licenses in both states) - but I know it will all fall into place...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment