Thursday, September 29, 2011

the rhythm of our new home

As mentioned in the last post I wanted to share a few new pictures of our place.  Mind you we are still slowly unpacking and moving things around a tad, but overall it is done for now and for the next 8 months... until we have to pack it all back up again (sigh).  Even though we are only here for a short stint many things will happen here... a baby will be born, Isabelle will become a big sister, and a certain momma and daddy need to feel like they are living in their own space.

IMG_6241

             IMG_6232      IMG_6229   
                       kitchen (w/ a dishwasher!)                                   living room

                          IMG_6234                     IMG_6237
                   dining room w/ anniversary flowers                   stairs down to the water


IMG_6239
isabelle playing by the lake

And as our life begins to settle and we feel more at home our daily rhythms are slowly making their way back into our lives.   Since I am home now full time (also with no car and 15 minutes from anywhere until the commute situation is figured out) with Isabelle I am slowly realizing how important these rhythms are to my ability to be momma all day, every day.  I gather a lot of inspiration from some passed down Waldorf books (thanks Scott, Deb & Mia!) and am happy to say that so far things have been going well.  I tend to be a task master and thrive on efficiency.... and this job forces the exact opposite - it's ok to take a half an hour to clean dishes with my little helper even though it might really only take me 5 minutes (and possibly result in cleaner dishes...).  By following a simply structured day Isabelle is naturally seeking her own play time and seems to be content with our current situation (even though she does ask once and a while when we might see her friends, go to school, or visit co-op kids).

IMG_6228
we start with a morning circle to sing songs and celebrate the new day
isabelle loves this time (asks for it all day) even though she would never participate in library or co-op kids circle days - she loves to sing and dance

IMG_6225
we do something together
like make applesauce from a handwritten recipe (thanks jodi!)
                 
IMG_6224
and then Isabelle plays house

IMG_6236
and feeds her dolls

And then we sort of repeat the whole thing again in one way or another.  It has only been a few days of just me and her and in some ways I anticipated wanting to pull my hair out... but it has been really good so far and I am feeling really positive about the next few months that Isabelle and I have just to ourselves.

IMG_6226
i have even had time to start whipping up little things for all those babies out there
there are so many of you with baby bellies that need some knit goodies...

IMG_6244
 and lastly, but surely not least, we get to spend our evening with daddy showing him how well we wash the dishes together

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you guys are getting all settled---it looks like you have a great new home! And how did I miss the fact that it was right on the lake??? You probably told me, but the post pregnancy brain couldn't retain it! How wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlyn-
    So glad you guys are getting settled in and finding some sense of normalcy. Thanks for all you did to make our transition easier. Your new house looks awesome, I am jealous of both the lake and the dishwasher!! Your writing is wonderful and i look forward to following you guys on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah for finding your Waldorf rhythm and how amazing to be right on a lake!!!!! Let me know if you ever need any book suggestions as I have quite a Waldorf library!! We miss you guys and especially on Tues. mornings. I hope you find your amazing group of friends and playmates and know we think of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - yes pre or post pregnancy brains lack retention and all sorts of other things - the lake is wonderful... Isabelle has been asking about a skype date with Maggie soon... will be in touch!

    Rachel- I am so glad you are enjoying our old place, we truly enjoyed living there and are so glad we can keep tabs on it!

    Jesica- It didn't take too long to get back into the swing of things...now I need to find my "Rebecca, Jesica, Melissa, Jodi....and so on" of New Hampshire! I am always interested in a good read- and have a small growing waldorfy library of my own - by all means send me some suggestions!

    ReplyDelete