Thursday, December 1, 2011

granola bars

Happy December 1st!  I have recently had 2 people remind me to post our granola bar recipe and have finally got the energy to make and post them...So the original recipe can be found here....but my version is the following:

IMG_6654

2 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 cups rice puff cereal (or rice crispies)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups of goodness...ours usually consists of 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup craisens & 1/2 cup of nuts (chopped walnuts and/or peanuts)
  *I have also used coconut, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, dried cherry, raisens, etc...the sky is really the limit


Assembly of these ingredients is crucial to the outcome....

Preheat your oven to 325.  Combine all dry ingrediants and mix well.  Melt butter and add to honey and vanilla, mix well.

IMG_6656
(yes that is my belly hanging over the counter)

Pour wet into dry and mix well, you don't want anything to look dry.

IMG_6659

Pour ingredients into a greased 9x13 pan, I usually use a glass dish but it is currently being occupied by a big frozen lasagna for post baby times...

IMG_6661

Crucial: really cram the ingredients down evenly throughout the pan, I find using a metal spatula to press down hard on the mixture works best.  Put into oven and bake for 20 minutes.  I also usually take mine out midway through the baking process and re-press the mixture with my spatula.  Do not over bake...it will intensify the crumble!  Take out and allow to cool for 10 minutes.

IMG_6664

At ten minutes (and not a minute late...just kidding!) cut or score 16 bars with a sharp knife.  I don't worry if it isn't perfect and don't try to fix anything if it crumbles a little.  Now the hard part...WALK AWAY!  Don't touch these puppies until they are completely cool - you can even throw them in the fridge to speed this up once the pan has cooled but do not be tempted to remove from pan until they are completely cool.... SO I suggest finding something to preoccupy yourself with...

IMG_6662

In our case, Isabelle and I crafted up a new holiday garland.  And since they are still cooling I don't have the final product to show.  Patience is key!  Once cooled I remove them from the pan using a metal spatula, if there are any spots that didn't get cut perfectly by the knife you can use the spatula or a knife to cut through again.  I put mine in an airtight container and they stay in the fridge.  I hear they freeze very well ....but ours never make it.  Hope you enjoy!


** In the past I have also substituted the brown sugar for 1/2 cup of apple sauce...you will lose the crunch in the cereal from a little too much wetness...however slightly more healthy - your choice...either way they are delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment