Tuesday, October 4, 2011

making a little sunshine

IMG_6261
why that sun looks awfully sunny...

It has been a bit dreary out here - so different from our normal Moscow dry weather we had just gotten use to.  I gave Isabelle some fall colors to paint with and talked about the leaves changing colors and this was all she wanted to draw...I suppose I can't blame her... I could use a little sun myself.  But with the lack of sun we have been trying to keep up with fun indoor activities (it is so tempting to netflix my way through the day...) and as soon as the rain stops we run outside for a game of chase or her latest favorite game....frisbee.  My fingers have also been busy getting my knitting muscles worn in - a gnome hat and bootie set for the baby and before I could start any other baby projects Isabelle reminded me that her gnome hat no longer fit and she needed a new one too... 

IMG_6270
creating little gnome apparel

Isabelle appropriately picked out yarn with pink and purple...her favorite colors.  And since baby may be a boy or girl we figure gray and white is a perfect genderless color combo.  Isabelle and I are not the only ones getting crafty these days.... Aaron is working on his first NH brew as we speak (and possibly ruining our stove as well...there are some weird smells coming from the kitchen).  He is making a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone ("with a little extra hop love added to it" - aaron) that should be drink ready in about a months time.

IMG_6273
fingers crossed the stove works after...

My parents and I got Aaron the brew kit for his birthday this past year and unfortunately I haven't been able to reap the benefits considering I have been pregnant.  I have snuck a taste or two and look forward to being able to drink a glass at some point...

and remember these?
IMG_5912

These are the garnets that my friend Rebekka and I mined for in Idaho a few months before we left (see the original post here).  I had taken them into the local gem shop in Moscow to see what if anything could be done and I decided on these beauties...

IMG_6269
one of the small circular garnets I found cut in half, polished, and set into earrings

I am so in love with them.  Not just because the are beautiful but because they will always remind me of our time in Idaho and that fun hot day spent digging up earth to find these little blackish rocks that once polished shine with a reddish purple glow.  I have to say thank you thank you thank you to my mom for funding the setting of the stones in the earrings - yes I am completely in love with them!

Lastly, thank you for all the kind words about our missing kitty, 
we greatly appreciate your words and thoughts. 

1 comment:

  1. They are perfect! You are one hard working miner. We has such a great day- actually when I think about it every day hanging out with you and Isabelle has been excellent. My cheeks always hurt from laughing and we move at kid pace. It is good to see you settling into your new place. I am going to need your new address soon, time for the care packages to begin.
    Love, R

    ReplyDelete