Sunday, November 6, 2011

weekend happenings: in the kitchen

This was one of those weekends I wish I could hit the repeat button on... we cooked, we bottled, we baked, we walked, we talked, we took naps (oh wait that was just me...)  and watched too many episodes of Mad Men.  And it isn't until now that I really think about the days of us three are limited and quite priceless - in the coming months I don't expect us to make homemade pasta, brownies, or slow cooked ragu bolognese...(well I suppose I hope the brownies will rear their delicious head...they are amazing).  I recall quite a lull in our love of cooking and baking following the birth of Isabelle.  Between the summer heat, Aaron working his butt off finishing his Phd, and my lack of sleep we weren't all that interesting in the kitchen.  Hopefully with Isabelle's interest in the kitchen it will keep us motivated and inspired to do more - there is just nothing better (and sometimes nothing more stressful) than working with little hands in the kitchen.  She is so eager to be in the middle and be apart of every step.  And I know I've mentioned it before but she will eat anything that she makes.

IMG_6532
learning how to bottle and cap beer
(Carter would be so proud of our little brewmaster)

IMG_6537
kneading the pasta dough

IMG_6541
rolling out the dough

IMG_6546
admiring our work

IMG_6548
cutting our pasta into fettucini

IMG_6554
devouring...

I'm sure most of you out there reading this has experienced homemade pasta but if you haven't you truly must.  Nothing can compare.  

Note: the spinach pasta & ragu recipes are from Mario Batali's Molto Italiano and my favorite brownie recipe is Alton Browns, which can be found here....just beware they are probably a heart attack waiting to happen and you can't just eat one...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment