Thursday, March 8, 2012

crafty genes

IMG_7336

While organizing and reorganizing my craft space (which is a tupperware bin, a sewing box and three card board boxes.....oh yes i dream and some day i will have a "real space") I came across my stash of collectables - a few items that were among the piles of crafting tools that were my grandmothers and likely her mothers.  I love to dream of what they made with them, where they crafted, what they thought about while they crafted - mostly who were these women who used these tools?  Don't get me wrong, I knew my grandmother, but she had a brick wall around her - a hardy New England type - that chose carefully what she shared about herself and seldom gave up an ounce of real emotion.  I wonder if these women itched for their free time to sit alone and use their hands to knit, crochet or make a rug or did they use these tools to merely pass time.  I don't know for sure but I can only imagine that making a lace doily or a hook rug wasn't just to pass the time.

IMG_7342

For me, crafting is a time where I can be in my head - it might be brainstorming my next grocery list, brooding over a disagreement, or relishing in a fond memory - but it is important time for me to connect with myself and reflect.  And in some ways working with my hands helps me feel connected with these women and that maybe I know them better than I think - and that I still have so much to learn from them.

IMG_7426
my latest cast off - a sweater for Owen
pattern can be found Here
thanks again Jess for the yarn- a perfect baby/mama gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment