Thursday, April 26, 2012

the dilemma

photo

So today, after much anticipation, we visited our local Waldorf school.  And well, it was wonderful.  The morning garden & nursery area was so beautiful and full of inspiration.  When we entered they were in the process of making dough for buns (they were grinding the flour, stirring and kneading the dough all all by hand)...Isabelle wasn't too interested as she stood in a mecca of a play space.  Wooden creatures, houses, nature tables, a kitchen area, and a doll nursery/reading area padded by sheep skins....and so much more.  Isabelle explored and played for nearly an hour and half before I had to gently persuade her and I into leaving.  It really is just lovely.

If you know me, then you know my big Waldorf dilemma.  It is exactly what I envision for our children's school experience...and it is expensive (...even with financial aid).  The way the Waldorf philosophy nurtures children in just the right way for their stages of development and how nature, art, play and imagination are interwoven into everything that they do is so near to my heart....and exactly how I want my children to experience school.  I'm not sure if Isabelle or Owen will ever attend a school like this...but I do know that we will always have Waldorf inspiration in our home and in our hearts.  I strongly believe it is more than just a school it is a way of life...one that we are, day by day, learning more about and incorporating into our lives.

Homeschool is an option, for preschool anyways...and then who knows after that.  It is one way that I can ensure that during this period Isabelle and Owen aren't forced to memorize their letters or be expected to read...instead...play, imitation, story telling, imagination....and so much more are the center of our lives and learning experience.

*disclaimer*
this post is in no way me complaining about not being able to afford a school...just me sharing what i want for my kids

No comments:

Post a Comment